Mobile Application UI/UX
Pet Adoption Made Easy
Pet Adopt is a concept application that aims to contribute to solving the problem of pet overpopulation.
The number of euthanized animals could be reduced dramatically if more people adopted pets instead of buying them. When you adopt, you save a loving animal by making them part of your family and open up shelter space for another animal who might desperately need it.
Pet Adopt aims to connect users and simplify the process involved in adopting a new loved one.
There is an abundance of abandoned pets all over the world. There is an extreme lack of assets available to help pets find a permanent home. We need a new solution to help aid our furry companions.
Having conducted surveys and interviews with pet owners the general consensus was that existing pet adoption applications were overtly complex and did not have the capability to connect with people in the area quickly.
Pet Adopt will aim to simplify the process involved in adopting a pet. It will aim to network users and help them engage in conversation quickly. Location based targeting and a simplified UI for everyone will help speed up the process in adopting a pet.
The app will allow users the ability to onboard quickly, to choose a pet in their area and engage immediately with the pet owner.
Simplicity is key.
Mind maps and user personas
Low fidelity mockups help me visualise the concept before using Sketch or Figma to create high fidelity mockups.
- The purpose was to enable a quick onboarding and get users to engage in conversation with another pet owner in as few steps as possible.
- Many of our users are familiar with social apps such as Messenger, WhatsApp and Bumble so I relied on their existing mental modals to prevent them having to re-learn a new application and increase their cognitive load.
- I made several iterations with the image on the right showcasing some of the screens that made it to the high fidelity phase.
- I tried to rely on Fitts Law and make sure every button had a large target area (at least 44pt) to aid navigation for users with smaller devices.
Quick sketches and mockups give me the foundations to design a high fidelity prototype.
- Pet Adopt uses a form with pagination that quickly encourages users to complete the signup form.
- Although the placeholder property is used we don’t rely on it and all form inputs are clearly labelled to promote accessibility.
- Pet Adopt works with iOS design systems and incorporates the navigation bar and keyboard input wherever possible or appropriate.
Done in two steps? Easy!
Make a new friend
- Pet Adopt automatically shows up nearby pets based upon location preferences.
- Users don’t have to reach too far – no unnecessary hamburger menus here.
- ‘Heart’ call to action entices the user to act.
It’s got to be Harry Right?
Are you a cat or dog person?
Optimising the experience
Pet Adopt uses existing mental modals and familiar touch screen gestures that our audience are familiar with from existing mobile applications.
We’ve tried not to overload the user with too many choices and instead focus on the essential requirements. What type of pet they are looking for and how far away it is.
Increasing the number of choices will increase the decision time logarithmically (Hick’s Law) and take away from time spent engaging and chatting with other pet owners.
Got time for a cuppa and a chat?
- Now that you’ve selected a pet the easy way to actually adopt that pet is to engage in conversation with the pet owner.
- Users are prompted to engage in a messenger like chat tab where they can arrange a meet up.
From onboading to engagement, Pet Adopt is designed to connect users as quickly as possible to help get pets to happy homes.
Illustration Credit : UnDraw
I am a digital designer with a passion for solving problems with creative solutions.
My goal is to contribute my skills, creativity and knowledge to growing ambitious companies, allowing me to prove myself as an asset. While utilising my own conceptual and creative side, my ideal job consists of projects demanding innovative creative and technical concepts.
With a problem-solving mindset, I help my clients to create designs that are aesthetically pleasing, technically refined and easy to use.
I enjoy empathising with people and crafting digital experiences, that empower users and boost business growth.